What is botulin toxin?
Botox, formally known as botulinum neurotoxin is a substance injected into the skin to temporarily prevent the movement of muscles. It prevents wrinkles from developing or becoming worse. Botulinum toxin is a wrinkle relaxing treatment that can dramatically relax facial expression lines, frown lines, and crow’s feet in both men and women without surgery or recovery time. It is a natural purified protein that relaxes wrinkle-causing muscles and helps create a smooth, rejuvenated appearance. Botulin toxin is predominantly used on the face, but it can be used on other parts of the body too.
How does botulin toxin work?
The injection of botulin toxin into the muscles results in blockage of nerve impulses of those tissues which in turn reduces the muscle activity that causes the frown. This results in a smoother and rejuvenated look.
How long does Botulin Toxin treatment take?
The treatment only takes 10 minutes. It is a scheduled medication and needs to be administered by a trained doctor. No anesthesia or downtime required
When does the botulin toxin start working?
A marked improvement in your frown lines can be seen within days. The results will continue to improve for up to 10 days.
How long does botulin effect last?
Results can last for between 4 to 9 months, but this varies from person to person. After subsequent Botulinum Toxin treatments, results can last even longer.
What can botulin toxin treat?
The Botulinum Toxin can treat the frown lines between the eyebrows, the lines on the forehead, the crow’s feet around the eyes, drooping corners of the mouth as well as axillary hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).
What is the risk associated with botulin toxin treatment
Botulin toxin injections are safe when administered by trained and experienced personnel. However, there are possible side effects and complications that might show during the process; if the botulin toxin injection is not injected properly. These symptoms can include:
- Possible pain, swelling or bruising at the injection site
- Headache or flu-like symptoms
- Droopy eyelids
- A crooked smile is likely to occur
- Dryness in the eyes
- Remain in an upright position and avoid lying down for 4 hours
- No massaging of the treated area for 1-3 hours
- Emote or move the treated area (wrinkle the forehead, smile, frown, etc.) every so often for 1-3 hours after treatment. This will help with the uptake of the Botox
- Do not exercise (running, aerobics, weight lifting, etc) for 24 hours
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen for 24 hours
- Can take paracetamol for any headaches