What is a chemical peel?
A chemical peel is the application of a chemical solution to induce a healing process in the skin. It is used to improve and smooth the texture of the facial skin by removing its damaged outer layers, leaving fresh skin which has a more even surface and color.
A chemical peel also stimulates new collagen to be formed improving skin texture and quality. The new skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
Chemical peels can be done on the face, neck, or hands
What are the different types of chemical peels?
Chemical peels are broadly defined by the depth of penetration of their desired effect into the skin. They are categorized as:
- Superficial peels
- Medium peels
- Deep peels
What are the benefits of a chemical peel?
- Improving the skin’s color, clarity, tone, and texture
- Stimulating new collagen and healthy skin cell growth, resulting in a radiant complexion
- Reducing decolorization caused by sun damage
- Improve the appearance of mild scars
- Helping clear up breakouts of certain types of acne
- Reduce age spots, freckles, and dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills
- Improve the look and feel of skin
- Smoothing away the look of fine lines and wrinkles
Is it safe to do a chemical peel?
A chemical peel is usually safe when performed by trained and qualified personnel. However, there could be some risks and undesired effects such as:
- Itching, redness and increased sensitivity of the skin
- Reactivation of herpes simplex infection
- Change in skin color
- Flaking and peeling
- Scarring, especially with deep peels
- Deep peeling may take time to heel
Is there pain during a chemical peel?
During chemical peel most people may feel a burning or stinging sensation that gets better with the cooling of the skin. However during a deep chemical peel, one may need a pain medication
What to expect after a chemical peel?
After a light peel, the skin may be red, feel dry and irritated
After a medium and deep peel the skin may experience more redness and swelling